Thursday, October 9, 2014

#8. Run the Virginia 10-miler

It's time for a fitness update.


I'm not stepping back on the scale until the end of the month, so I'm not really sure where I stand on what I've lost. I realized I hadn't really gone into detail about working out much on the blog. I've been fairly consistent so far this month. I've been working out three to four times a week. I am still struggling with my eating habits, but I'll get there! So far, I have just been running on the treadmill when I go to the gym.

My friend Bri agreed to do the VA 10-miler with me next year. What can I say? My friends are amazing. Anyway, she's already a much more advanced runner than I am, so I need to get my weight up... so to speak ;) My goal is to be able to run a 5k comfortably by the end of the year. Then, I can increase mileage starting in January. So far, I have been using the Couch - to - 5k app I mentioned earlier last month. The point of the app is to take you from not running to being able to run a 5k within a 9-week timeframe. The app keeps the time as you run (not your mileage, which is why I do this on the treadmill) and lets you know when to alternate between running and walking intervals. You do have the chance to add in your mileage at the end, so you can keep track as well. I've been walking/running (mostly walking) two miles so far.



Running the VA 10-miler was one of the goals I kind of decided to accomplish on a whim because we may be moving from Virginia. It's one of the things I want to do while we are still here. As far as fitness goals are concerned, I've been saying for quite some time now that I want to become a runner. I dream of the day when I can just wake up in the morning and run 5 miles without stopping. That may not seem like a huge feat, but as I mentioned before, right now I can't run two miles without walking. One thing I love about the idea of running (since I don't love running itself yet) is that you don't need any equipment or anything. You just let your body work. Another thing I like about this fitness journey is that even if I'm not weighing myself everyday, I can gauge my progress by how much I can do today versus how much I did when I started. It's a great way to build confidence. If you haven't started running, you should try it!

This might seem funny, but I've also tried to find little ways to be more active as well. I have started marching in place or stepping from side to side while I am washing dishes or doing laundry -- just to keep my blood flowing. I am sure it doesn't burn many calories, but it burns more than it would if I was just sitting down or standing there. My job is sedentary in nature, so I try to take advantage of moving around as much as I can when I am off of the clock. What about you? Are there little ways you try to incorporate being active throughout your day? What do your workouts look like in the gym? Let's be intentional about being active today!