Wednesday, October 1, 2014

#25. Rock a job interview

Hello October!



This year is RACING by, but I'm glad the season of change is here. It's my favorite time of year.


And we're circling back to the topic at hand...

So I'm not looking for employment any time soon, but I realize that being able to rock an interview is just a good life skill to have. I think a woman who is in her 30's should have the ability to handle herself in an interview and to walk out feeling confident about the experience.

I cringe as I look back to my previous interviews. When I interviewed for my current position, I was physically shaking. As I waited for our meeting to begin, I couldn't think of one reason that I should be qualified for the job. It's funny because I had already put in a year in another department at the same company and the nature of the work would be similar. However, my confidence in my likelihood in being offered the position was so low that I left the interview thinking there was no chance that I would be hired. 

So long story short, I ended up getting the job, but I knew for sure I needed to change the way I prepare for interviews. My school has a great resource to help with this. Any of you who struggle with the same thing should look into this for your school as well! Our Career Center reviews resumes and offers mock interviews with feedback for free. I don't know why I didn't use this resource sooner!

Interviewing well is going to be a good long-term skill to build for when I need to job hunt in 2016 ;) but I also have to complete a practicum and internship for my program, so I need to be able to handle myself in interviews over the next year. Speaking of which, pray for me please. I am trying to muscle through this degree, but it is not easy. I looked at my degree completion plan yesterday. After this coming spring semester, I will have 3 classes left, including my internship. Graduation is so close I can taste it! BUT I definitely need to be a good steward of my time and remember that everything I do should be to the glory of God. It's so easy to want to slack off and just do enough to get by, but I need to put my best effort into this thing. My goal is to graduate with at least a 3.25 GPA, but I have got to stay focused.

How about you? Where are you in completing your degrees? How do you fight discouragement?



P.S. A few of you have mentioned an issue with the commenting feature. I am still checking into this to figure it out. Please bear with me.