Wednesday, September 3, 2014

#3 Photograph Every Day For 365 Days

This photo is what I would use to earmark the beginning of my photography journey. I didn't realize it at the time, but this evening at work in a call center with a gorgeous view began my love of capturing beauty in scenes, people, and moments. This is just a normal sunset over the mountains in Lynchburg, Virginia. There was no editing and this photo is straight out of the camera. It holds a special place in my heart -- especially since my office has moved and I will never have this exact viewpoint again. It was a sad day when I realized that my office was moving to a different building. I mean, WHO GETS to enjoy this view while working late at night?! Not me. Not anymore.

Anyway, I add this 365 day challenge to my list because I want to see improvement in my photography. I am not starting the challenge until 2015 because I want to get the basics down first. In searching for the best way to go about this, I stumbled across a deal that was too good not to share! On April 5, 2014, my sweet husband bought me this beauty:
It's been four months and I still haven't mastered the thing. My goal is to learn to shoot in manual mode with confidence. I don't have plans at this point to become a professional photographer, but it would be nice if, in the future, my skill level allowed this to be something I could fall back on! My real purpose in all this was to be able to capture moments of my family. The hubby and I are miles away from any close family, so as we go through life and grow our family [eventually -- no, I'm not pregnant], I want to be able to capture photos of our kids and share them with our families. So far, I feel like I've only lucked into a few good shots whenever I have tried to photograph people. I am glad I had the camera to capture the moments and memories, but I know I am not using this girl to her full potential. Oh, in case I haven't already mentioned it, her name is Ruby. Yes, I named my camera. Moving on...

Anyway, I have been feeling at kind of a loss because my shots with the camera were hit or miss. I am big on blog hopping for home decor and kept seeing ads for a company called Shoot Fly Shoot. You can check out their blog button on the side of my page. Since these ads and rave reviews were on some of my favorite home decor blogs, I figured that I would check it out. They have instructional videos for visual learners (!) to help explain the concepts for shooting in manual mode. 

I loved what I was seeing, but the only cringe-worthy part was that it was $67 for a Photography 101 online course. Now, I know that the price isn't much compared to the cost of other photography classes or workshops. A local photographer is offering a one-day workshop in town later this month with an overview of the same information for $150. So, I really can't complain about a $67 price tag for videos I would have access to forever to watch and re-watch. However, I knew I would want to have the Photography 102 course as well, which included editing presets in the package. Normally, this would be about $130, but Shoot Fly Shoot offered both for $97. Again, still less than the one-day workshop in town, but my husband and I are working to pay off debt and I couldn't justify this price tag for something I am doing as a hobby. Then, I found that Kevin and Josh, the amazingly generous guys at Shoot Fly Shoot, were offering a 30% off coupon. The code is "SFS30" for any of you who are interested. I had to act on it. Now, I have access to both courses and the presets for the price of just one course! If you've got a DSLR that you're still trying to figure out, go ahead and use the blog button on the side of my page to take advantage of the discount pricing! 

Now, by way of a disclaimer, I did decided to partner with this company to help get the word out. I've watched most of the videos for the Photography 101 session already and it's all been explained in pictures and easy-to-understand terms. I love that they break it down for those of us who are struggling with the switch from Auto to Manual. Come learn with me! Let me know what you think!