Tuesday, September 9, 2014

#7. Make a tulle skirt [Learn to sew]

So, in case you haven't already checked it out, I updated my 30 Before 30 list with a few edits. I kept the numbering consistent so that all of the posts I've done thus far still work. So, shall we continue? Today, I'm talking about Making a tulle skirt/learning to sew. I've been wanting to own a tulle skirt for some time now.

Because looking at photos like this:
Source
Source

























How could you not?!

Now I don't know if you've ever priced a tulle skirt before, but they can run anywhere from $50 to over $100! I'm hoping that if I make my own, I can cut down on the price tag a bit. Now, you may be wondering how this item survived when it could easily be yoked in with the new item of developing my own personal sense of style (more on that later). You've got a point. However, I want this sewing skill to extend beyond just making this skirt. I want to be able to sew to help in home decor as well. I have been wanting to spruce the place up with pillows, curtains, and runners for our kitchen table.

In fact, here is the fabric that I purchased from JoAnn's to make my first runner.

It's a nice fall fabric, don't ya think? I bought it last. year. Yes, and I still don't know how to sew. I know fabric is expensive and investing in a proper sewing machine would be costly too, but I could do so much in the long run if I was able to master this skill. Do you know how to sew? How did you learn? What's the best item you've sewn so far?